Electricity is an integral part of our lives, powering our lights, appliances and gadgets. We use it so often and so mindlessly that many of us have forgotten its dangers.
Direct contact with electricity can cause shocks and burns, while faulty wiring and malfunctioning electrical appliances can cause fires. The Electrical Safety Council estimates that household electrical accidents, including electrocutions and fires, cause 70 deaths and 350,000 injuries in the UK each year. Electricity is behind 20,000 home fires annually, with electric cooking and laundry appliances the biggest culprits.
Educating yourself about electricity and its hazards and taking a few precautions can prevent nearly all electrical accidents in the home. The following electrical safety tips will keep your family and house safe from mishaps and tragedies.
Compare energy suppliers and save over £350* in five minutes!
With a dangerous combination of appliances, water and cooking equipment, kitchens are the most common starting place for house fires. Here’s how to stay safe around electricity when cooking.
In the UK, shaver supply units are the only electrical outlets permitted in bathrooms, preventing many dangerous encounters between water and electricity. But there are some other dangers you should be aware of.
Botched DIY attempts are responsible for nearly half of all severe electric shocks at home. The following tips will keep you safe during your weekend projects.
Before you employ anyone to do electrical work at your home, you should ensure they’re properly qualified. The Competent Person Electrical Register is a list of more than 40,000 electricians in England and Wales who meet the technical standards required by the government. Electricians are assessed before they’re enrolled on the register and then subject to periodic random checks of their work.