With energy prices rising, it is important to make sure that you are only paying for energy you are using. A lot of people are installing smart metres, but not everyone is convinced they are a good idea, we have put together a quick guide with everything you need to know to help you make an informed decision.
What is a smart meter?
A smart meter is an automatic and accurate way for you to know how much gas and electricity you are using. It takes a reading and sends it directly to your energy company, who will send you a bill based on your actual usage, instead of on an estimate. This information is also designed to help you, it will provide you with easily accessible readings to help you understand how much of certain types of energy you are using and at what time.
Can anyone get a smart meter?
There are only two things that could impede your ability to get a smart meter installed. For example, you’ll struggle getting a smart meter if your home is one of the few that doesn’t have access to a mobile network, as this is how the device transmits the data to the energy supplier. Secondly if your meter is in a small space then a technician may have difficulty installing your new one. But while you may have to get a bit creative here, it’s nothing a bit of DIY can’t fix.
How do you get a smart meter?
Everyone is entitled to own smart reader, in fact plans are in place for every household and small business to have one by 2020. All you need to do is contact your energy supplier, and they will cover a few basic points such as how long it will take and if there is anything you need to do before they send someone out.
Benefits to getting a smart meter
- You will get an accurate bill each month, meaning that you are only pay for the energy that you are using
- It will provide you with up to date information about your consumption, how much you are using and when
- You can save money by switching to a variable tariff based on the information it provides
- Instances such as power cuts will be resolved far more quickly, with the energy companies being alerted as it happens
Issues with getting a smart reader installed
- Your energy payments will vary from month to month, this could cause problems for people who are trying to budget based a fixed price each month
- Energy companies are going to be getting a lot of information regarding your data usage, this could potentially be used for targeted marketing
- Although there is no upfront cost for installing one, some experts worry that energy prices will rise to cover installation costs